Yet another, what do I have in the pantry/fridge that can be made into a meal?, recipe.
We have been loving Earth Fare’s chiptotle barbecue sauce lately – it is sweet and surprisingly warm. This combined with onion, mushrooms, and tempeh made for a perfect fast and filling pizza.
Simply use the BBQ sauce in place of tomato sauce and sprinkle with sliced toppings. I always use my best pizza crust ever recipe and bake the crust for about 5 minutes at 425 degrees before adding any toppings.
Bake at 425 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes or til done.
BBQ Tempeh Pizza
1. Prepare pizza crust, see below. After rising and punching down, bake on pizza pan or stone for 5 minutes at 425 degrees.
2. Prepare toppings. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Saute ½ yellow or white onion, diced, until soft. Slice 4 oz. tempeh into ½ inch slices. Slice 4 oz of mushrooms.
3. Spread BBQ sauce over semi-baked crust. Add onions, mushrooms, tempeh, and shredded real or fake cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 12 – 15 more minutes or until cheese is melted and toppings slightly browned.
Best.Pizza.Crust.Ever. – Food Network Kitchens, Making it Easy, 2004
1 cup tepid water (105 degree water)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
2 teaspoons agave syrup
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (optional)
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for kneading
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 packet active dry yeast
1. Mix flour and yeast in a bowl.
2. Mix warm water, olive oil, agave syrup, and salt in a bowl.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add liquid ingredients and mix well.
4. Knead for about 5 minutes, use extra flour if the dough is really sticky.
5. Place in a greased bowl and let rise in a warm spot for 45 minutes.
6. Punch down dough and let rest for 10 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven to 425 degrees and prepare pizza pan(s).
7. Stretch (or hand toss, if you are really talented) into desired size.
8. If you are making a thick crust pizza, bake the dough at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes before adding and toppings. This will ensure you do not get the doughy, uncooked center.
9. While your crust is baking, prepare toppings.
10. Bake pizza in 425 degree oven for about 12 more minutes or til done, on the lowest oven rack.